Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tracking

When I first started CrossFit, I was tracking every workout in a spreadsheet. I recorded the prescribed workout, what I actually did, added in some notes, and recorded my times/rounds completed/etc. That worked well for... exactly 12 days. From then on my only real tracking was anything I posted here, and that certainly hasn't been after every workout.

So, I figured getting a training journal was essential. This way, hopefully, I won't always be staring blankly into space when we're told to start warming up and figuring out our weights for the workout. When Chris asks what my 5 rep max is for back squats, I can say "145 lbs" instead of "Well, um, I think we did them once, but I don't think I went heavy enough, but I don't really remember what we started at, I remember something about a 25 lb plate, and maybe a 5, and um, yeah... I have no idea."

Maybe it's because of some perfectionist tendencies, maybe it's because of an anxiety disorder, maybe I'm just crazy, I don't know, but I find filling out forms very stressful. Wait -- that's not quite true. I find it very stressful when I am filling out a form and I am not 500% sure that I am filling it out exactly as the maker of the form intended me to. Health card renewal forms, insurance claims, customs declaration cards... I waste 2 or 3 forms, minimum, before I'm satisfied. I don't know why I can't just simmer down - the customs dude rarely glances at the form for more than a minute. (What I really should concentrate on is figuring out where Waterloo actually is. You'd think after 5 years, when a customs officer or a border guard asks me where Waterloo is, I would be able to answer with at least a little bit of confidence. Um.. near Toronto, I think...?)

Where is this going? Well, I think my new journal might be the death of me. It's quite possible that I'm just a complete moron, but I can't figure out what all the damned boxes are for and exactly what I'm supposed to write in each one. Some of the boxes are too small for the information that I think I'm supposed to write in them.

Stay tuned next week for an exciting update on whether I figure out this new journal before my head explodes.

I leave you with some tips for double-unders from the amazing Chris Spealler:

No comments:

Post a Comment