Thursday, May 3, 2012

hoodie's first Elements class

Last night I was brought into the CrossFit fold and I loved it. The class was the first of five Elements sessions, where safety and technique are taught for basic lifts.Last night we learned the technique for the dead lift.

Key take aways: keep your shoulders slightly ahead of the bar and ALWAYS keep your back flat. Also, I apparently can't count and workout at the same time...
Warm up was: 3mins of skipping, a handful of reps (12 maybe?) of dead lifts super slow to focus on our form, and box jumps (3x12", 3x16", 3x20") to figure out what we could handle for the workout.

The actual workout was:
15mins (14:33 for me to complete)
3x (150 skips, 21 box jumps on 20" box, 12x dead lifts using medium bar and 10lbs each end, total weight of 55lbs)

I really took my time with the dead lifts, having a tendency to let my knees slip forward. Chris, our coach, was awesome about giving real time feedback to correct form. By the end I was earning "Very smooth" praise from him. As many of you know, I'm aggressively competitive so I was annoyed at finishing last but slightly placated by the fact that I was lifting the most in the beginners class, by 20lbs, and using the highest box (I couldn't convince Chris to let me try the 24" - put that on the to do list for later). And let's be honest, I had better form. God, I'm a competitive bitch.

Thank you to Tetz for the gentle peer pressure to try out CrossFit and for coming with me!
Now to finish the Elements classes as fast as possible to catch up to her...

See you in the box at 8:30 tonight... #addicted

No comments:

Post a Comment